Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Quick Apple Pie

Happy National Pie Day! I'm not a huge "pie" person, but I've been wanting to attempt an apple pie filling for quite awhile. Mainly because I want to make apple dumplings. When I read that January 23, 2013 was going to be dedicated to all things "pie" I saw my chance. For the fillings anyway... the dumplings will come some other time.



I'm new-ish to the baking world. Maybe someday I'll be awesome and won't need to copy someone's recipe. For now, I'll copy and make changes accordingly.

Just the filling:

  • 3 cups thinly sliced apples (you can add more, my preference is less)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 1/4 cups white sugar
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 5 cups water

In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and set aside. Pour water into a Dutch oven/stew pot over medium heat. Mix together sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add to water, stir well, and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Be sure to scrap the bottom of the pot as you stir.

Add apples and return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until apples are tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
  
Now for the crust. Ready? A tube of Pillsbury biscuits. 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin pan. Cut the biscuits in half. Roll out one half of the biscuit. Lay it over the muffin slot and press it to the bottom and against the sides of the slot, avoid tearing the biscuit. Take that delicious apple pie filling and fill to almost the top. 

Grab the other biscuit half. Roll it out a little less. Cut 4 small slits into the center making an incomplete "X" shape. Use this half to cover the pie filling half, gently press top biscuit to the bottom biscuit. Don't worry if you're not able to perfectly smush them together. The uncooked dough fuses together (mostly) as it bakes. Smear a bit of butter over the top and sprinkle on some cinnamon and sugar.

Bake for about 13-15 minutes. They may appear done on the outside but the inside may not be fully cooked. It's a good idea to test one by lifting the top, if possible, or breaking one open slightly.

 
Serve with a scoop or two of ice cream. I happened to have cinnamon ice cream in the freezer. No kidding... I totally saw fireworks when I ate this. I even crashed my daily allowance of sugar for this sweet treat. I didn't eat it all but I certainly could have.

I played with idea of making homemade caramel sauce but I didn't have time. Maybe this weekend I'll do that. I only made two of these little guys. I'm saving the rest to make fresh on my fun day (when I can eat anything I want). Also, I want to take pictures to show the techniques I used. Once I do, I'll add them to this post.

Store the leftover Quick Apple Pies in the refrigerator and reheat for a midnight snack or breakfast, whichever works best for you.

If you have any remaining filling, pour it into freezer containers, leaving 1/2 inch free space at the top. Seal and freeze. Can be stored for up to 12 months. 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

We love comments!