Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Pomegranate White Chocolate Scones

Pomegranate and White Chocolate Scones

with a Lemon Glaze




I tried my first scone about a year ago. Isn’t that weird? How did I go 35 years without trying a scone? Since then I’ve tried a scone at about every coffeehouse in the city. I’m making up for lost time, you see. 

I consider myself an amateur cook/baker so the idea of baking scones sounded intimidating. The thought kept creeping into my head until finally I said to myself in a Julia Childs type tone “Enough is enough… get over it, girl”.  

I did just that. I got over my intimidation. I found a recipe to base my scone off and the rest is history. I have no idea what I thought was so intimidating. These amazing little pastries are surprisingly easy. 

Here we go!

Pomegranate White Chocolate Scones (with Lemon Glaze)

2 cups flour       
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ sticks of cold unsalted butter, diced
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup cold heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup dried pomegranate (I actually used Craisins infused w/pomegranate juice)

3/4 cup white chocolate chips

For the glaze:

1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or baking mat.

Combine the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.  Stir together.  Add the diced butter on low speed.  Mix until the butter is in pea sized pieces.  Combine the cream, vanilla and eggs in a measuring cup and slowly pour into the butter/flour mixture.  Combine until just blended.

Toss the dried pomegranate with 1 Tablespoon flour (this helps to distribute evenly throughout the batter). Add to the mixture, add white chocolate chips and combine.

Grab the dough and roll it out (shake some flour on the dough if it’s sticky). I rolled my dough to a generous thickness. These puppies don’t rise much, a little less than twice the size of the uncooked dough. Use a cute cookie cutter or cut the dough into a traditional scone shape. 

Put the cut out scones on the prepared cookie sheet and bake for about 20 minutes. Check scones at about 15 minutes. 

To make the glaze, whisk the confectioners sugar with the lemon juice and vanilla until smooth.  Add a little more sugar or some cream to get the correct consistency. 

Glaze the scones once they are completely cool. 


Gobble, gobble, gobble!!!!

1 comment:

  1. These scones look good. I've made chocolate chip scones, almond-apricot scones,and pumpkin scones. The first two choices are my favorite. Scones are pretty easy to make. It's hard to really "mess-up" on them. So glad yours turned-out nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!