Saturday, September 8, 2012

Got rotten bananas?


So you got yourself a few rotten nanners? For the love of Betty Crocker, please don’t throw them. If you don’t have time to whip up a baked good with the overly ripened boomerangs, peel and freeze them for the time being.

Bananas rarely stand a chance of getting brown and mushy in our house. We have 6 common day apes living here. Well, with the exception of me. I am not a huge fan of plain bananas. Toss them in a bakery type item and add 900 calories, you can count on me to eat it. A few of my small men think they need a banana with every meal. You won’t find me complaining about that.

There are many options for the bananas once they have become fully matured. The obvious being banana bread. You could also do (WARNING: prepare yourself for this one... total yumness) pancakes, muffins, waffles (click on the item to be linked to a recipe). 

I choose to make banana bars. Main reason… cream cheese frosting. 

Here we go...

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 (give or take) cup mashed ripe bananas
  • 1 (16 ounce) container cream cheese frosting
Preparation:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 10x15 inch jellyroll pan. 
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; stir into the batter. Finally, mix in the mashed banana. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
  3. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow bars to cool completely before frosting with the cream cheese frosting. 
A frosting tip: freeze the bars then frost. This helps to not smear the bars all over. 


One thing you should know about me, I find rebellion in just about everything I do. I like to add my own flare to things. In recipes and my life in general, this is true for me. So... I added cinnamon to the original recipe. Yes, I am that wild and crazy. Find the original recipe HERE.

2 comments:

  1. This looks simply deeee-vine. I must warn you though, you will get a TON of google hits for "what to do with rotten bananas". I posted once about banana bread and continue to get lots of "hits" where people are inquiring about rotten bananas. Funny, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Just seeing this comment... thank you!

      Delete

We love comments!