Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Biscuit donuts


Dovetailing off Cara's donut post

Here is a quick, super easy and sweet snack. I haven’t mentioned this yet, I am an in-home daycare provider. I crave fun, new snack ideas. When my food program coordinator told me about this delicious little creation, I jumped on it.

I was fairly positive the kids would love them, but they’re kind of funny sometimes. I have one that doesn’t like chocolate and another that doesn’t like peanut butter… obviously both are aliens from another planet. This recipe doesn’t call for either chocolate or pb, I was just proving my “kind of funny” thought. In the end, I was right. Now when I make them, I seriously have kids breaking out their best dance moves. They love the faux donuts.

What you're going to need:

A tubed package of buttermilk biscuits or you can make your own. I wouldn't use the flaky layered kind or frozen biscuits.

Butter or margarine
White sugar

Brown sugar


Now let’s prep ‘em:

Get out a cookie sheet or cake pan… really doesn’t matter

Open tubed package (don't worry, we all react as if it's a "jack in the box" and jump once it pops).

Place individual biscuits on pan.

Spread butter onto each biscuit – you may need to soften the butter.

In a small bowl, mix in about 1/8 - 1/4 cup of each sugar. Swirl together.*

Press buttered side of each biscuit into the sugar mixture.



Place biscuit back on pan.


Get baking ‘em:



Follow baking instructions on the biscuit tube

Usually 375° for 15 minutes. 

Bake until golden brown 




*If you have leftover sugar, seal it up and store it for next time. Believe me… there will be a next time.

For different variations, we’ve used cinnamon instead of brown sugar. We have also added colored sugar sprinkles (holiday biscuits) to a white sugared biscuit. 

Another idea I tried, butter the biscuits, cut them into smaller pieces. Evenly lay out the pieces, be sure they're touching each other, in a cake pan and sprinkle sugar mixture on top. Bake and eat as a pull-apart snack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments!