Thursday, December 19, 2013

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you...Buckeyes!


Well hello there, kind and wonderful followers! It's Cara. Yes, I'm still alive after all this time. I'll spare you the details but just want to say that I've missed posting and hearing from people, particularly on Facebook where we get most of our activity.

As Mel mentioned last year, I host a Christmas Baking Day every year and have done so since college.  I love this tradition, particularly since there are some friends that I unfortunately only see at Baking Day! Mel had to miss it this year which made both of us very sad but we've got plenty of years to make up for it!

A long, long, long time ago, one of my college roommates contributed the recipe for Buckeyes. WTHeck are Buckeyes? Aren't they a college mascot? Ohio's nickname? A nut? All of the above. Oddly enough, the buckeye nut is poisonous in its raw state. I'm not sure who thought this would be a good mascot but what I do know is that this little chocolate and peanut butter treat in honor of the buckeye nut is out of this world. It has become a regular item we make at Baking Day. And of course, any time a group of girls get together and have to form little balls, there are sure to be some comedic exchanges. Oh, and the wine probably comes into play, too.

Enjoy and happy holidays!!! 

Buckeyes
Recipe adapted from An Alli Event
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 lb. powdered sugar
  • 1-1/4 cups peanut butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 block paraffin
  • 12 oz chocolate chips (whatever kind suits your taste - semi-sweet, milk, dark)
  1. Mix butter, powdered sugar, peanut butter and vanilla until smooth. Form into 1" balls and place on a cookie sheet. Chill balls for about 15 minutes. 
  2. While the balls are chilling, melt paraffin and chocolate chips in a double boiler (I started with the wax first since it takes longer to melt). 
  3. Using a toothpick, dip the balls in the chocolate, coating about 3/4 of the ball. Place them on wax paper until firm. If you are picky like me, I use my fingertip to close the hole the toothpick makes. I personally think they look a little weird with the hole.
  4. Chill and keep refrigerated until ready to serve - the texture is best if you let them warm up a bit prior to serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments!